Thursday, April 25, 2013

Soccer Match In Old Trafford


Yes. We put ourselves on a 13-hour flight to London and took another 2-hour train to Manchester in the middle of cold Spring weather to watch a soccer match. We watched the game in Old Trafford, in Greater Manchester, the famous home of Manchester United. The stadium has the capacity of more than 75,000 people.
 
For some soccer fans, this match was an important and interesting one that makes 15-hour trip almost means nothing.  This match was between Manchester United and Manchester City. Watching it live would be an extraordinary experience for any fans. Not quite for me but it was so much more for DH, since he is a super fan of Manchester United. I, no longer have much interest in soccer since I have kids.....



Fans of the game can be really passionate, they wear their club jerseys, sing their songs and whatever that show support for their clubs.We tried to come early, more than 30 minutes before the start but in no time the stadium was filled up. We saw many policemen and security people around. Everywhere. That gave me a better sense of feeling safe in the midst of some 75,000 people soccer fans there. Nobody knows what could happen when people are so passionate about the opposite things being in the same place at the same time.


I thought it would be such a long time to arrive at the end of the match, but that was the two-hour period that went away quite quickly. The fans sang, cheered, called, yelled ..... almost continuously. What a feeling! I had a good time although I must say I dislike being in the cold and I wish there were a better transport to get back to the hotel. Nevertheless, it's nice to be able to say that we made it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment