Saturday, May 09, 2009

Cheese Popovers



Light, hollow and delicious. That's popover. I was a bit intimidated with making popovers, before I even tried doing it. Shame on me! But now, after baking them a few times, I am getting more comfortable. It's not that hard. There are only 5 ingredients needed namely eggs, milk, flour, salt and butter. Plus cheese if you want them on your goodies. I am still trying to use different kind of pans to see which one I like better.



The silicone pans give me no problem at all with removing the popovers. The dough rise almost evenly on all around unlike using the metal pans or ramekins. Irregardless which pans I use, the taste is more or less similar to one another. I.e. they are well sold out! Eaten! Finished! biggrin



These popovers are great for breakfast. You can eat them they way they are or with butter and jam. Here's the recipe that I use from SFGate by Flo Braker.

Popovers

INGREDIENTS:

2 eggs

1 cup milk, at room temperature

1 tablespoon melted butter, or vegetable oil

1 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

INSTRUCTIONS:

Adjust the oven rack to the lower third of the oven; preheat the oven to 400°. Grease each popover cup generously with softened butter or solid vegetable shortening.

Combine the eggs, milk, melted butter, flour and salt in a blender or food processor; process for about 40 seconds. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple of times and blend until the mixture is completely smooth.

To make by hand, whisk together the eggs, milk and butter in a large bowl. Add the flour and salt and beat until very smooth.

Pour the batter into the greased cups, filling them half to two-thirds full. Bake until the popovers are puffed and golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Do not open the oven door during baking or the popovers will collapse.

Yields 6-8, depending on the size of the baking cups


No comments:

Post a Comment