These are wholewheat scones with blueberries and sliced dried mandarin and topped with pearl sugar. They make a very delicious combination, especially with a cup of black coffee on the side. Perfect for breakfast any day. The recipe is below.
- 2 c flour (I use a mix of wholewheat and all purpose flour)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbs butter
- 3/4 c buttermilk
- 3/4 cup blueberries, tossed in 1 Tbs of flour
- 1/4 cup dried mandarin orange, sliced
- 1 egg for egg wash (add 1 Tbs of water and whisk)
- pearl sugar to sprinkle the top
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Pour the flour into a large bowl with the salt, sugar and baking powder, mix well. Add the butter, then rub in with your fingers until the mix looks like crumbs.
- Make a well in the dry mix and then add the buttermilk. Mix quickly with a wooden spoon or spatula, it will look wet at the beginning. Mix in chopped Mandarin orange and floured blueberries.
- Scatter some flour onto the work surface and transfer the dough. Fold the dough over 2-3 times until it’s a little smoother.
- Pat around 1"tall and use a cutter or knife to cut according to your preference.
- Brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle some desired pearl sugar on top.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until they are golden brown.