Friday, November 18, 2011

After Nine Years ...

I still think of her. My sister. My big, selfless sister that succumbed to Lymphoma and left us nine years ago. She was like a mother to me and many of her siblings since our father died and our mother was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. While young girls at her age were enjoying life, she was working full time and looking after the big family. She assumed a big responsibility since she was merely 17 years old. After she started making money, she put back the money that she earned for the family, meal, school and other necessities helping out her three brothers that equally carrying the burden to feed everyone in the family. It's hard to comprehend that a good and dedicated person like her was diagnosed with Lymphoma way too soon and left all of us way too early. But that sort of things happens in life.


There are things that remind me of her. Origami, crochet and Fried Rice Noodles are some of them.  Two of the last three years in her life were spent a lot in this country with me. She was in and out of the hospital too many times. For treatment, for chemotherapy, for blood checks, for bone marrow transplant and everything else related to her medical treatment.  She also stayed at home with us and helped out with the cooking sometimes. She helped me do the preparations and I did the cooking. Many times, when she was hospitalized, I packed this Fried Rice Noodles and brought it for her and she truly enjoyed it. More than hospital food, of course. I miss her sometimes, especially today. I know that she is in a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment