Saturday, May 31, 2008

A Little Apple Adventure



There was a request for me to bake an apple crumble pie last week, but after buying some green apples, I decided to wait a little while, because there was still enormous amount of food, good enough for many days. I thought of trying a new cake recipe instead of making my usual pie, that can be mostly attributed to my lack of interest in rolling the dough for the pie crust.

I came across a German Apple Cake recipe from allrecipes.com and modified it to suit my likings and healthier result. The original recipe calls for a full cup of oil which I gladly halved and the amount of sugar was reduced to 1.5 cups instead of two cups, which again for two cups of flour, I thought, was still a bit too much.

I also added more cinnamon and more apples to intensify the taste.



INGREDIENTS:

2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 cups apples - peeled & thinly sliced

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one bundt pan.
2. In a mixing bowl; beat oil and eggs with an electric mixer until frothy. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat well.
3. Combine the flour salt, baking soda, and ground cinnamon together in a bowl. Slowly add this mixture to the egg mixture and mix until combined. The batter will be very thick. Fold in the apples by hand using a wooden spoon. Spread batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until cake tests done (30-45 minutes). Let cake cool on a wire rack. Once cake is cool, serve with a dusting of confectioners' sugar or with a Cream Cheese Frosting.

For original recipe, click here.

For me, this is a delicious-yum-yum cake! Did I say yum? It's yummy!

3 comments:

  1. These look so yummY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice-looking cake. I don't think it needs frosting at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Julie. The cake was good just as it was, but with the frosting, the picture could look prettier.... I think.

    ReplyDelete