Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Marble Memory



When I was small, my mom used to make marble cake. In fact, if my memory serves me right, she only only baked marble cake and Ontbijtkoek, a Dutch Spice Cake, no other type of cake. My mom was Dutch educated, she conversed in Dutch with some of her friends, she sang some Dutch songs and she had some Dutch admirers too before she married my dad. She had many Dutch stories to tell too, many of which are no longer in my memory, I was way too young to remember.

We didn't use any electric mixer, we didn't have one back then, 3oo years ago. I remember the big glass bowl that we used and how we took turn beating the eggs and sugar. Occasionally the cake ended up being stuck badly on the pan, but we enjoyed the moment and ate with our little hands straight from the pan. It was fun, it was a wonderful memory.



I am glad that marble cake is our family favorite now. I don't use the same recipe my mom used in the past. My sort-of-pound-cake recipe is much simpler and has a better success rate and everyone likes it better. And last night, we baked another marble cake. Happy memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment