Sunday, February 15, 2009

Pretty, But Sticky....



I was excited that my sister finally got me the traditional clay pot to make serabi, some sort of Indonesian pancake. They cost merely 25 cents. Gah! She generously sent five of them, just in case any of them breaks. Someone carried them and guarded them well through all the rides he took, automobile, train and plane.



They arrived safely, right here at home. I took two pairs out, washed them and cleaned them, then waited for the right time to make the serabi. I had no problem with the dough, I made them before and they turned out really well. I, however, cooked them on a small non-stick metal pan instead of a traditional clay. There's a distinct difference in the taste, but I had no choice.



Despite my effort to apply generous amount of oil on the pan, sadly,I have to report that the pancake stuck really tightly to the pot. After two tries, I switched back to my metal pan. I learned later on that new clay pots do give this sticking problem. I want to try to keep on greasing them and heating them as many times as I could before I use them again. I read that someone bought a couple of worn out pots that have turned so black, this person didn't have problem with the sticking pancakes. Smart lady! I'll work on mine.

2 comments:

  1. What a cute little pot. You could put it in the oven every time you make bread.

    I have a cast-iron pan that was my great-grandmother's. It just took 50 years or so to get perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it does not take that long before this little cute thing can work well.
    50 years? Hmm... that really tests one's patience!
    I'm sure it's all worth the efforts.
    Or not?

    ReplyDelete