Thursday, December 25, 2008

Blue For Some

At times like this, I could use a freshly baked white bread as my comfort food. It is depressing to see many people get affected by the current economy crisis. Life gets tougher as prices of basic goods go up while more and more people losing their source of income.The roads ahead are getting bumpier for many.



When in comes to retrenchment, delivery of news could come anytime, even on Christmas eve. It is hard breaking to know that one more friend of DH was laid off yesterday, after a few others. DH just got his call today, on Christmas today. Wishing him a Merry Christmas really brought its meaning to a new level. It does not really matter whether this person held a high management position, it still means that future income is gone and plans have to be altered.

The night before, the technician that I called to fix our refrigerator came over. He told me that he and his colleagues have been laid off too and no compensation money was given because the company was losing money. An excuse that is rather unacceptable, because in general, those sort of payments need to be made unless the company went bust. He was going to work on getting what he feels that he is entitled to, which constitute to at least five months salary.

I am certain there are way so many sadder and heart breaking stories around this. There are people without enough money to buy food and pay for the much-needed medical care. There are kids that can't go to school because their parents lose their income. There are just more sadness and sorrow this Christmas. I pray for the strength to do my part in helping others although I barely am good enough to help myself. I know, it is a blue Christmas for some people. Sorry that this is a downer.

No comments:

Post a Comment