Thursday, October 09, 2008

Looks Like We'll Be Going.....

A plan to stay back during the break was just a plan. I woke up one day and thought that I needed to have more photographs of things, different things than what I have been photographing almost on daily food. I thought I needed to get away from this place again. We have talked before about going to either Beijing or Shanghai. We have also talked about having two girls that are going to be busied with their study during the break. At the same time, I also thought of the break that we all need after nine weeks of school and many months of stressful work situation. A change of location will be refreshing, although the problems will remain problems until the they are tackled and solved and exams will have to be taken until they are over.

I wanted to go to Shanghai, DH felt more for Beijing. I do feel that it is a good opportunity to see Beijing and its Olympic facilities while they are still quite recent, I can visit Shanghai some other time. I love to re-visit Great Wall, only to find out later that the children are not too thrilled about going there again. I am happy to pass on the gigantic complex of Forbidden City and Summer Palace. I don't mind Hutong and Tiananmen Square. Shopping or window shopping will be on the to-do list too. The weather, will be much cooler than here. So it's all good.

We only had less than two weeks before our departure date, so we needed to act really fast. By evening, we have checked out the flights and the hotels. By the following morning, the flights and the accommodation were booked. We also began to process our visa.

Then, the stock markets started to crash and the "economy in crisis" thing seemed to get much more serious than ever. I started feeling bad about my own idea. I began doubting whether we made the right decision about going away. To make it simple, I left the decision to DH, the rests of us are quite indifferent about going or not going. We'll go if he can make it, we won't go, if he can't make it. DH reckoned that we should try to go mainly because we will be having one adult daughter in college next year and traveling together will be harder to do then. I guess, that's the priority! If he says so, indirectly.

The visas have been obtained, the flights and the hotel rooms have been booked. Looks like we'll be going in nine days. I can't see Russia from here but I saw some greens and arrows up today. They may not last long, but again, it's always nice to see a good change. Hoping to see more greens tomorrow. question


Source: Yahoo Finance - 9 Oct 2008

2 comments:

  1. This whole economic mess does give one pause. My mom decided to cancel a trip to China in the spring because of it. Lots more expensive to go there from here, though.

    I hope you have a grand time. I'd love to go back to Beijing sometime and see how it has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kitt. I hope you get to go soon.

    It's really unfortunate that you mom had to cancel her trip, maybe she will be able to make it another time.

    ReplyDelete